Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Old junk

Lately I have been sprucing the site up and I am pretty happy with how it looks.

I wanted to give you a brief overview of what happened/is happening here...

The old site was actually made up of 6 different blogger sites. This was due to blogger restrictions, mostly regarding layout.

Over time it had become very difficult to update because of the components involved and some of the dead technology that was used on different aspects of the blog.

So I made a few other separate blogs one called Superfans of the WWE Universe:

 Superfans is just a series of amusing screen-caps from old wrestling events. I totally stole the idea from "People of Wal-mart."

I did another blog that was dedicated to the hats Mrs. Howell wore on Gilligan's Island:

I started ANOTHER blog about movie locations. This was mostly because I like searching for movie locations on Google Earth and I thought it would be nice to keep a list of them.


Meanwhile in 2010 I got a gig blogging on The Ken PD Snydecast Experience, a blog dedicated to the popular podcast of the same name... minus the word "experience". 



All this left bunchojunk.com in a sad, outdated state. I updated it occasionally, but that was always a real pain in the neck.

Over the past few months I have been working on updating the site and I am pretty much finished. The site looks good now and is easy to post to. I usually dictate the articles into my iPhone and it types them for me. 

Simplicity!

I was eventually able to merge all of the different bunchojunk sites into one blog and fix all the dead links. It's mostly done.

For a while there was a huge hunk of posts that I couldn't merge. I tried running them as a separate site under the name "Cuts the Pizza With Scissors" but it seemed redundant to an epic-ly redundant degree.

Eventually I was able to merge those posts back in.

Now everything bunchojunk is here and you can search for it like any other blogspot blog.

The other blogs are all linked to on the side. I also have another domain guyhutchinson.com that used to be a redirect to this site. 

However, I was able to use the different widgets that blogger provides to make it a self updating look at every site I write on.


In addition I have been going back and updating the old articles a few at at time. Many of them have broken links and missing images. I have been updating the links and adding new images and embedding video clips when applicable. 

I forget 90% of what I wrote on here so most of them give me a laugh.

Here are three that stood out to me lately:

Gofer Cakes was about an amazingly well crafted fake commercial from the late 1990s. Read about it here.

Snow's Informer was about a horrible song. A horrible, horrible song. Read more here.

Soy Bomb was about the time some annoying dude danced next to Bob Dylan with "Soy Bomb" written on his chest. Read that one here.

Guy Hutchinson
Guy Hutchinson

5 comments:

  1. I like the new design. With the introduction of widgets I always had a hard time getting my designs to look right. I eventually gave up and started trying Tumblr. I'm still tweaking things but I like what I've got so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tumbler seems great. I considered moving the whole blog there. I still may. Blogger added widgets like rss & templates that looked like what I was trying to do anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, if you can get things working with what you already have, Tumblr doesn't do anything above and beyond to make the move worth the hassle.

    I was mostly looking for a fresh start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think tumbler has more readers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh spellcheck! I mean Tumblr!

    ReplyDelete