Wednesday, January 18, 2012

He wanted nothing from nobody!

I always loved the film Phenomenon.

I like the story and I like that the title reminds me of the Mahna Mahna sketch from The Muppet Show.




The other thing I really like is Robert Duvall's performance, the following scene in particular:


Doc: [after hearing several of the townsfolk openly disparage George in the Bar] Why do ya have to tear him down? What are ya so afraid of? What have you got to lose? He wasn't selling anything! 
He didn't want anything from anybody! He wanted nothing from nobody! Nothing! And you people have to tear him down so you can sleep better tonight! So ya can prove that the world is flat and ya can sleep better tonite! Am I right? Am I right?... I'm right... The Hell with all of ya. The Hell with everyone of ya.

Its a great little monologue delivered by a pro. But some little juvenile part of me always chuckles when he delivers it because I want it to go slightly differently...


Doc: [after hearing several of the townsfolk openly disparage George in the Bar] Why do ya have to tear him down? What are ya so afraid of? What have you got to lose? He wasn't selling anything! 
He didn't want anything from anybody! He wanted nothing from nobody! Sure, he wanted something from somebody. I suppose he wanted everything from everybody... I guess he wanted to get busy with a busybody. Sure! But... uh... what were we talking about?


No comments:

Post a Comment