Saturday, January 14, 2012

Disney Classic #5: Bambi




Looking at the poster for Bambi, first I am surprised that Bambi was a book first. Second, I am surprised Bambi is a male deer and not a hot chick.


I have never read the book... in fact I don't think I ever SAW the book. Other Disney flicks like Cinderella and Snow White are often read by kids and adapted by different cheapo companies with low budget DVDs and such.

Not Bambi.


I am sure there is a reason for that, but I don't want to bother looking it up.


Bambi is a change of pace from Dumbo.

Literally.

Dumbo is fast paced. This film floats along slowly with long interludes of beautiful music and great animation.

One of the reasons I think the pace seems so slow is that the famous "Bambi's mom gets shot scene" isn't until about 45 minutes in.

Oh yeah... spoiler alert.

I've seen this movie a bunch of times, but as I watched it tonight I kept thinking "when is she gonna be dinner"?


After she finally croaks Bambi has a quick chat with dad and then BAM, he grows up.

Bambi's dad is a stern mysterious character. He should have had a mustache.

There are a few moments after that that really stand out from an animation stand point.

Particularly the fight Bambi has as with the other deer suitor. I mean the other deer that had the hots for his dame. Not some guy who fits deer for a suit and tie.

Another great scene is the fire. Breathtaking.

They made a sequel a few years ago called Bambi 2. I know the direct to DVD sequels Disney makes are often derided, but Bambi 2 feels really necessary. I really want to see what happens in the middle of this film and THAT is when Bambi 2 takes place. Plus Patrick Stewart plays his dad.

In fact, I am watching it now! Bye!

Oh yeah, I give Bambi two hooves up. Fantastic flick.
Guy Hutchinson
Guy Hutchinson

No comments:

Post a Comment