Wednesday, December 22, 2004

A Hershey Christmas


Hershey Pennsylvania, a town that smells like chocolate.

Never a bad place to visit, but the holidays are especially fun in Hershey.

I went there this weekend to take in some of the holiday events they offer. Most of these events appear on the Hershey website.

First thing I saw was the Hershey Sweet Lights. This was a drive through attraction that featured tons and tons of Christmas lights.

The lights were divided into sections such as 'Toys of the Century' and 'The 12 Days of Christmas.'

The lights were pretty amazing but I was disappointed with some of the 'Toys of the Century' selections. When I entered the section, I thought it would be like the Toys that Stand the Test of Time article that appeared on bunchojunk.com a while back.

Instead it was full of boring toys like blocks.
There were a couple of interesting toys, like a wind up monkey that plays the cymbals, but most were absolutely dull.

The one I disagree with most was the jump rope.

The jump rope is not a toy! It is an activity that can be done with any piece of rope of sufficient length!

I propose that next year they include the Robops.

At the Hershey Lodge I attended a musical entitled Christmas in Chocolate Town. It was a lot of fun and featured many great Christmas songs.

My favorite was Run DMC's Christmas in Hollis sung by a guy in a teddy bear costume. I couldn’t believe my eyes. At first I thought I was experiencing some chocolate induced Yule tide hallucination, but it actually happened!

Hershey Park is the towns famous thrill park. They are open for the Christmas season under the name Candylane. With freezing temperatures, they don't open any of their giant coasters but they do open some of the kid’s rides. They also have meals with Santa and costumed characters that pose for pictures.

The costumes were so cute; I wanted to bite the Gingerbread Man. I also wanted to bite a guy who was selling kettle corn, but that was for different reasons. Hey! Perhaps I was experiencing chocolate induced Yule tide hallucinations!

Speaking of which, I saw a mural that depicted a little girl keeping watch as her friend huffs chocolate from an enormous bottle. It was a bit frightening.


Also at the theme park they have the 'Kissmastree' a Christmas tree that has had the Christ removed and replaced with giant Hershey Kisses. They may not have died for your sins, but they are TASTY!

Also at Hershey Park was the Reindeer Pen where you can see live reindeer eat, sleep and fight. Donner and Blitzen were butting heads when I arrived and they were STILL butting heads when I left.

If you go to Hershey in the next few weeks, make sure to find out who won for me.

PRICES:
Hershey Sweet Lights: $15 a carload
Christmas In Chocolate Town Musical Celebration: $41.95 a person
Hershey Park Candylane: Free (rides and shows have individual admission prices)

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12/22/2004

    Guy Who Looks Like Milton Hershey said:
    I live in Lawrenceville New Jersey, a town that smells like raw sewage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2/04/2005

    That IS scary. Especially the tree. 

    Posted by Nettie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2/04/2005

    But they are delicious. 

    Posted by Sweetie Guy Hutchinson

    ReplyDelete