Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Shirley Temple


It may surprise some people under the age of 50, but Shirley Temple is not just the name of a drink that kids order from the bar at weddings.

Shirley was the most popular child star in film history. She was the top box office draw for 4 years and appeared in more movies than you could count.

Well, you probably could count them, but it would take you a while. Then you would have to tell people: "I can't hang out tonight; I have to count Shirley Temple movies."

Then your friends would call you a loser and you would cry. So let's just assume you couldn't count them.

Shirley had lost one of her baby teeth the night that she was honored, but she hid this fact from everyone including her mother. Photos of the event show the tightest lipped smile the little tyke could muster.

That sounds weird.

"The tightest lipped smile the little tike could muster."

BYSTANDER ONE: What's happening?
BYSTANDER TWO: There’s a tyke mustering a smile with a tight lip.
BYSTANDER ONE: Good lord! I better get a cop.

Shirley was honored on March 14, 1935 and wrote "Love to you all" above her name. She also put her hands and BARE feet. During Sid's life no other celebrities were permitted to do so. Shirley said she wanted to do it bare foot so she could be "different."

Shirley's last four films were all released in 1949. She has kept herself busy with other interests including politics.

Still, I keep my fingers crossed for a comeback.

8 comments:

  1. When I was about 10 I ordered a Shirley Temple and the bartender told me when I boy orders it it should be called a Roy Rogers.

    From then on I just ordered gin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea she was still alive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If she really wanted to be different she could have stuck her baby tooth in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! I wish I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Todd the God9/28/2005

    You are the funniest person I have ever met!

    This is the word of Todd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great article. BTW, you look really hot in the photo on the front page with the Phanatic hat. I haven't seen you in a while, your hair looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Odd, I was trying to look crazy in that photo. I guess I failed.
    Oh well, I will have to settle for "hot."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4/25/2013

    I feel that is among the such a lot important information for me.
    And i'm satisfied reading your article. However want to remark on few general things, The site style is great, the articles is in reality nice : D. Excellent job, cheers

    Here is my homepage ... ranger forum

    ReplyDelete