Friday, November 02, 2007

My Name Is Earl hotel

Being a fan of the NBC sitcom My Name Is Earl I decided to hunt down some of the filming locations from the show.

My Name Is Earl is a bit unusual because they film much of the show's footage outdoors and on location. Because of this Earl's rural Camden County looks a lot like Los Angeles.

After fining out all of the locations I could I decided the best place to go was "the motel." I am not sure what it is called in the show, but in the real world it is The Palm Tree Inn.







You gotta love a motel that announces on their sign that they have CNN.

The Palm Tree Inn is in person just what it appears to be in the show... a run down motel that most people would avoid visiting... unless they were a hooker. Are most people hookers? I'm not sure (note: insert joke about the way women dress at the mall before posting this.)


I arrived at the hotel October 23, 2007 and I was stunned to find a camera crew setting up to shoot... Gilmore Girls (note: insert joke about the Gilmore Girls being hookers before posting.)


No, I kid. They were there to shoot My Name Is Earl. (note: insert joke about someone shooting the Gilmore Girls with a gun... try not to make it too morbid.)


I drove by the motel a bunch of times and tried to sneak a few photos:


The next day I returned to find that the film crew was gone. Here are some photos I was able to take:

This first one shows the pool, which is often showcased in the show. I remember hearing on the DVD commentary track that they have to "muddy" the water in the pool with some dye so the pool looks extra dirty.

That doesn't explain the set of toilets next to the pool. I wonder if they ALWAYS have toilets by the pool. That would be rather convenient.

Perhaps they should put that on the sign instead of CNN.

I think Earl's room is the third door down in this photo:

They only shoot exteriors here, so the inside of the hotel probably looks very different.

Here is another photo:

It's not very helpful because Earl's room is on the other side and this part has probably never been shown on TV. Stupid Gilmore Girls.



4 comments: