Tuesday, May 01, 2007

The Intro to Old Universal Studios DVDs

I don't think they do it anymore. If they do, I just haven't noticed it.

But, about 10 years ago when the DVD market first started up Universal did something to set their DVDs apart from all other studios.

They made them really, really expensive.

For real! Every Universal DVD was about $10 more than any other DVD.

But, there was another thing that they did... it may not be worth $10 but it was a good bonus.

It was the Universal Intro. The intro was about 30 seconds of music combined with clips of Universal films cross-fading into each other and the Universal logo.

Now, these weren't clips from the history of Universal Studios. This didn't show you clips from all the different eras of film making that the studio had produced.

No, this just showed clips of the last few films that they put out on DVD. The clips would change every few months. So each Universal DVD you bought would have the same intro... with different clips.

Unfortunately they didn't usually identify the clips, so you were often in the dark about what movie they were showing.

It was odd.

Each intro is like a time capsule, and it gives you a chance to see what DVDs came out in the month of March 1998.

Here is one I found at the beginning of a Universal film I recently watched.

I won't tell you which film it was, but I will tell you that Joel Siegel called it "Big Laugh Funny!"

Here are some stills from that intro:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Remember when I said that the clips would all change every few months? That was true... except for THIS clip. It was a short clip of George Clooney snapping his fingers as he holds a zippo. It was from some heist film that I only vaguely remember. I wonder why his fingers were all taped up.
Maybe he cut himself shaving.

Nonetheless, this clip made it to the beginning of EVERY intro! I worried for a while that it would replace the Universal logo.



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
As soon as he snapped his fingers the music started and we saw the Universal logo. I never thought about the logo, but now that I look at it, I find it frightening.
It seems that light is emanating FROM earth. I can only wonder if it is some kind of horrible glance into a future where the planet is over run with radiation and we are all dead.



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
This is either the guy from Spider-man or Brokeback Mountain. I asked some people and they said he was from one of those movies and they thought it was the "gay one."

So I guess it WAS Spider-man.



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
See, this is that cross fade I was telling you about. Look at that! The Universal logo meshed into a shot of Spider-man trapped in a well.
It almost spells out a deeper meaning about homosexual superheroes and how they feel trapped in the world and they feel that being trapped is "Universal." Deep, truly deep.



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Patch Adams. NEXT!



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
This cracks me up! Remember Primary Colors? It was a movie where John Travolta played Bill Clinton. It is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen.



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Blues Brothers 2000. It didn't actually come out in 2000, however.



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
This is Babe the pig. But, it's a shot from Babe 2.



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Babe 3.
No, I'm kidding. It's Ellen Degeneres. I love her. I think I will dance just thinking about her.
Why didn't they get her to play Spider-man?



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment